[at-l] Short Backpacking Trip on AT N to H.F.

Since Ann's on spring break from G'town Law, she wanted to take a couple of days
to backpack the AT near Harper's Ferry, WV. We've day-hiked a lot, but never
backpacked. Here a some comments and questions.

Since she has an Eagle Creek Bag, I got the REI GreatStar (huge) so I could
carry both sleeping bags. I tried on the Lowe Contour IV, but couldn't justify
the extra $40. My bag, having panel and top loading and a top fanny pack, worked
great. She had 27lbs of gear and I had 35.

Our MSR Int'l stove and Evolution Cookware worked great. How do you folks clean
your pots, esp when trying to minimize water usage? Our frozen fingers made me
wish for rubber gloves.

Our day hiking Vasque Clarion boots worked well with Sorbothane inserts. I built
calluses, but not blisters.

Our REI NiteLite tent had enough room for us (and our packs at her feet when the
freezing ice balls starting pelting the tent and vestibule.)

The RidgeRest (long, single thickness) didn't seem to cut it for comfort
(princess and the pea?) When I laid on my back, my heels/achilles tendon ached;
when on either side, my hip hurt. I didn't think of using an empty Platypus bag
as a pillow.

The 20 degree Kelty Clear Creek bags (L&R) slid down the pad the first night on
a slight incline. When the 27 degree wind gusts blew between the rain fly and
the mesh, I felt it go through the bag's side. I put the emergency blanket into
use as a windscreen. I think the bag would have been a little warmer if not
zipped together so the mummy top could be closed tightly.

We use iodine and neutralizer tablets without any problem. We didn't get any
water from sources like moosedropping pond.

We ran out of gorp since we left home half of it to save weight (oops.) We left
the big water bag home to save weight, but this would have cut the number of
trips to the water in half while in camp.

While hiking, our layered clothes and wind pants came off as we warmed up. The
REI Triad Parka's Shell worked fine with a Polartek top and thermal shirt. Why
does our REI sell so much 100% cotton clothing? They have an ExOfficio shirt for
$70 and some pants in a hideous color. Hudson Trail Outfitters sells Tekware and
other stuff.

Our (newbie) hiking pace (1+ mph including breaks)let us do about 8 miles
without a problem. My wife has a sore knee (downhills probably--any suggestions
on causes, remedies, preventions?), but out regular workouts kept us from
sucking any wind on the trail. (I knew JuJitsu had a practical purpose; I just
didn't know it was in this area.)

My Gerber Applegate knife was used briefly, but was probably excess baggage.
(Just try to unload THAT from me, Friar Tuck!)

We'll try to keep doing different AT sections N & S of H.F. forever. We dropped
off a car at the NPS visitor center at H.F. and paid $5 and filled out an
overnight form. Friends took us to where we started, Snicker's Gap.

I've been reading all your posts about equipment and weight--thanks. We couldn't
have make it without the dog, beans, rope and umbrella (large patio sized.)

When you section hike, the shelters might not be in the right place for camping.
How do you handle having enough water? We had a 2L Platypus, 2 1L Nalgene, and 2
Nalgene squirt bottles with dirt caps. Maybe we just drink a lot on the trail,
or mis-time refilling, but we ran out just before we got to H.F. You can't dip a
Platypus to fill it; I found this out after hiking .25 miles to a stream.

Those 2 miles of rocks N of Keys Gap and past the power lines were not fun.

We had a great time. If it wasn't for the freezing temps at night, we probably
would have had a better time when in camp (let's put some warmer clothes on
NOW!)

Thanks PATC for the trails. I kicked aside branches on the trail when I could.

Tony
--
"TONTO" Tony Tontodonato, MICROS Systems, Inc., tony@micros.com
12000 Baltimore Ave., Beltsville, MD 20705 (301)210-8002