[at-l] gear choice in stark relief

I realize this general question has been debated a lot in the abstract, but
I just ran into a concrete version of it and I hadn't realized the differences
involved:

I'm looking at two hooded rain jackets, both about the same size and weight.
One is rubberized nylon, "guaranteed waterproof" (whatever that means), and
costs $30.  The other is REI's version of a "breathable" fabric, and costs
$150.

Now, if it makes me that much more comfortable, $120 extra over 6 months isn't
too much to pay.  But can anybody give me some good insight into whether it's
really likely to be significantly more comfortable?

                            -David
The Fool
ga->me '97
covi@midway.uchicago.edu