[at-l] Re: perspective

>The one thing I wish the ATML thru-hiker postings had was a wide cross
section of hikers based on age, experience, etc.  I know that wasn't
possible but... maybe next year.  This is not meant as a criticism of
Wingfoot's efforts.  I think what he is doing is FANTASTIC!

Thanks, Steve. In fact, though, the Trailplace/ATML Thru-hiker Journals do
represent a wide range of ages (from 18 to 50+ years), a wide range of
experience levels (from very experienced to almost novice), gender (male
and female), one couple (would like to have had at least one more couple,
but none volunteered), a wide geographical distribution (south, north,
west, mid-west, alaska, and australia), a wide range of starting dates, 14
northbounders and 5 southbounders, and at least 20 different hiking
philosophies. I wanted a group that would reflect a good cross-section of
AT thru-hikers. Keep in mind that we only have six of the 19 journals (20
people) actually being posted now (several more will begin by the end of
this week), and Jason's journal is the first and therefore the most
predominant right now because he has more entries. In a month or so, we
will have all 19 journals going simultaneously, and the variety will be
apparent. Also, the Shelter Register entries are beginning to come in on a
regular basis, and these on-line registers will add even more variety. I
believe that this whole 60th Anniversary project will represent every type
of AT thru-hiking experience evenly as it develops. As for the discussion
about Jason himself, I am sorry to see it personalized as it has been.
Jason has done nothing but hike the hike that is right for him. He is being
generous enough to share that hike with the rest of us. When I got to meet
him here in Hot Springs, I told him nothing of the "controversy" that has
sprung up about his journal postings and mileages because my main concern
is that he be allowed to enjoy his hike without needless distractions and
criticisms from the outside world (i.e., us). We all owe him and all other
Class of '97 thru-hikers that. Daily mileage IS an appropriate topic for
discussion in an open forum, but personalizing it, especially when it may
adversely affect someone in the middle of his or her thru-hike, is, in my
opinion, very un-Trail-like, something from which we list-ers should
refrain, both on the Trail and on the internet.--Wingfoot