[at-l] REPOST> -H-elp with gear list (LONG)

This message is NOT from me.
-Milt

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 1997 21:08:41 -0600 (CST)
From: Sandra Downs <downs@diamond.nb.net>
Subject: Help with gear list (LONG)

Hi folks! I'm gearing up <G> for my first backpacking trip and want to be
sure I have everything I need. I'm not worrying about ounces...yet. Please
look through my list and if there's anything missing, YELL LOUD! A few quick
caveats:

1. I haven't bought a water filter yet because I'm hiking in areas where
well water is along the trail. I will buy a filter this summer, I promise.
2. I don't have hard-core boots yet because I'm not going more than 9 days,
12 mi/day max on "reasonable" terrain. I'm using my comfy, never-a-blister
day-hiking low-end Vasques ($39 from the Sierra catalog last year)
3. I won't need the tent right away, but I have a Walrus Lite Star (again,
on clearance). No, I haven't slept in it yet. Next month...
4. I won't carry ALL of the clothes at once, just what I need for the
particular trip :)

GEAR LIST
Lowe Backpacker 65, pack cover
Sierra sleeping bag, compression sack
3/4 Thermarest, stuff sack, belts to hold it
[Walrus Lite Star tent] as needed
2 Leki poles
Vasque day-hikers (sealed w/Nikwax)

CLOTHES
Duofold sweatpants & sweatshirt (2)
Polartec sweatpants
balaclava, liner gloves, drylete hat
Duofold midweight long underwear top & bottom
Capilene lightweight long underwear top & bottom
Duofold briefs (2)
Nylon shorts (2)
Coolmax bra
Coolmax t-shirt
Nylon pants (cheap, not weatherproof - should I seam seal?)
EMS waterproof/windproof shell parka
2 pr liner socks
2 pr Thorlo Trekkers
4 pr Fox River Hiking socks
camp shoes: either aquamocs or old beat-up mocassin slippers (very lightweight)

KITCHEN
food stuff sack
50' camp cord for bear bagging
Small Packtowl, camp soap
Lighter, waterproof matches
Swiss army knife (has can opener)
large Lexan spoon
32oz Nalgene bottle (2)
mid-sized cookpot, pot scrubber
22oz fuel bottle
Whisperlite stove, windscreen
toothpaste
[food as trip requires]

FIRST-AID / MEDICAL KIT
Blistex
Ibuprofen
eye drops (I punctured an eye on a pine needle years ago; a necessity)
bandages, assorted
Compeed, moleskin, 1 square 2nd Skin
Wet wipes
space blanket
Iodine tablets
large needle, floss, safety pin
Neosporin
Ace bandage (use whenever I have muscle pulls)

OTHER
Mesh stuff sack
Plastic trowel & toilet paper
Mini MagLite, headband, extra batteries
Sunglasses
Compass

If I'm missing anything crucial, please let me know!
Thanks! Sandy
GA->ME 1999	<downs@nb.net>  Visit Cyberwall! http://www.nb.net/~downs/