[at-l] Need some advise

This is my first time on, but I've been reading messages for a week or so
now.  I'm "Bert" from Kenansville (about 1 hour east of Raleigh, NC)  My
hiking pardner and I are both over 50.  We excersize every day to stay in
shape and we make at least 4 hikes a year.  So far we've missed the AT and
are now ready to try.  We have a long drive to get to any starting spot.
Could someone help as to where would a good starting place but keeping in
mind we're at least an hour from Raleigh.  This first try will be 3 days
and probably the 2nd weekend in April.  The other question is, will we have
to hike and then turn around and go back to our ride, or are there any
shuttles available?
I am enjoying all the notes and info.  Only negative thing about this list
is the "negativism" you sense sometime.  I've learned that we should try
ALL the time to lift people up instead or running them down.
Thanks for your help.  Looking forward to the AT!!!!!