Re: [at-l] An argument for a light pack

-- [ From: Kurtis Kirsch * EMC.Ver #2.3 ] --

While I applaud your advocacy for a light pack, what's the hurry?  Does
more miles a day mean more hiking enjoyment?  If we paved the trail, and
grade it at not more than a 10 degree rise or fall, just think of the miles
we could do!  Yes, I'm obnoxious, but I don't hike "pyramids."  I hike
mountain trails with boots, but I hike as light as I feel is possible.  I
love hiking, and sometimes I even semi-jog down gentler downhills, however
I only do it when I feel like it, not to do more miles in a day.  If your
thing is to hike as many miles as you can a day, then your pyramid sceme
may work.  A thru-hiker from last year constently carried a 55 to 60 lb
pack, and  hiked a totally pure hike, except for a forced 70 mile slackpack,
when the pack was stolen in PA.  She says it was the worst part of her
hike.

I think that you and Ray Jardine have every right to hike your own hike,
and to express your views on hiking, however, I feel it's a bit
condesending of ray to characterize his hike as the top of the pyramid, my
hike in the middle of the pyramid, and my thru-hiker friend at the bottom
of the pyramid.  If someone enjoys their hike, then they are on top of the
world in my book!

have fun,

Kurt
kurt.kirsch@internetmci.com