[at-l] re: Fuel bots & sneakers

strider wrote:

>>>   1 - In a 22 ounce bottle of fuel which you can really only fill to 16
OZs because you need to pressurize the bottle.  How long would it last
on an the average if you figure breakfast and coffee in the morning and
dinner and coffee at night. (Possibly boiling 2 quarts a day.)   <<<

in cold weather, i have a hot breakfast and drink, and a one-pot meal and
hot drink for dinner.  just by myself, i can go 7 days on a 22oz bottle (i
have never run out).  when it's warm, i have cold breakfasts, with an
occasional oatmeal, and a one-pot meal with an occasional hot drink for
dinner.  i can go ten days, and again i have never run out.

btw, i fill my 22oz bottle up to the shoulder where it begins to curve.  i
think this is a little more than recommended, but there is a little air for
presurizing, and i've never had a problem.  also, this is for an efficient,
well maintained whisperlite; you'll use more fuel if it doesn't sound like
a jet engine.

>>>   2 - I'm hearing alot about hiking in sneakers (tennis shoes for those of
you not from these parts). How do you keep your feet dry in them? Or
what is the practice when your feet get wet?   <<<

you don't keep them dry.

however, once wet, shoes, socks and feet dry out MUCH quicker than in
leather boots (if the shoe is mostly fabric or mesh, which most are
nowadays).  the water drains away, and the heat of your foot while walking
dries socks in a couple miles.  (my experience is that trekking thorlos
take about twice as long to dry compared to an 80/20% wool/synthetic sock.
i used thorlos up to gorham, where i couldn't find any new ones, so i
bought two pair of wigwams, i think.  i could really tell the difference in
maine, the wettest part of the trail for my feet).

the real advantage of sneakers and lightweight hikers is that they are much
easier to slip on and off, so that you can take off shoes and socks during
even the shortest breaks.  this gives your feet a chance to air out, dry if
it's not wet, and generally feel much better.  colin fletcher, among
others, recommends this.  i didn't do this during my thruhike, because even
my one-sports did not seem worth the bother, but on other trips since (ie
since i've been wearing lightweight footwear) i take off my socks as often
as i can.  my feet always thank me.  some people change socks, too,
rotating a few pair throughout the day.  i might start trying that myself.

mike
ke kaahawe

Michael Henderson		mikeh@royalrobbins.com

Mountaineers are always free -- State motto West Virginia