Re: [at-l] Serious questions about going lite

> << And about  food...no one ever says what food they take and how much.
>  I realize that food consumption amounts vary from person to person,
>  but what does an average day's food look like.  Previously, I rarely
>  hiked hard enough to really get hungry, and didn't take much food.
>  But I can see the problems involved in low energy on day four or five. >>

I found my food consumption grew greatly once I'd been out past a week.
Typical day's diet:

Breakfast:
1/3 lb. granola w/ powdered milk
1 cup cocoa

Morning break:
2-3 handfulls trail mix
Nutrigrain bar
handfull dried fruit
1/8 lb. cheese w/ crackers

Lunch:  Same as morning break, add 1 cup soup w/ crackers, sub granola
bar for Nutrigrain

Afternoon break:  Much like the morning break, add chocolate bar

At camp:  Cup of soup w/ crackers
	Lipton dinner w/ carrot & onion thrown in
	1/3 lb. cookies or 1/4 lb. chocolate
	hot tea

On the trail I laced my water w/ lemonade and carbohydrate powder -
drank about 2 liters this way/day.  Straight water  in evenings, another
liter.

I *always* had food left over at my next maildrop, largely because I
would buy meals where convenient & because I was intentionally packing
an extra day's food (in case I slowed down), but was usually hiking
ahead of my planned pace.  Figure I could have gotten by w/ 2-3 lbs.
less food/week & still had a bit of a cushion.  My knees loved me for
this.

- the Priest