[at-l] bad lag pain on weekend trip

I took a trip this weekend from 522 and the at (south of Front Royal, VA) to the Gravel Springs Hut in SNP. The walking was great until about nine miles, but then the area behind my knees started to really hurt. It made those last 6 miles very painful.  Della and I  (Della is our 2 year old G-shep. She is a natural trail dog) Spent the night in the shelter with four guys from NJ. It was very cold (20?), and I ended up unzipping my bag partways so she could get next to me and in part of the bag. What a site we must have been. My legs were hurting much worse in the morning, I suppose that the cold and such had a lot to do with it. It wasn't the muscle, but maybe tendons or ligaments behind the knee? We started to head back to the car, but after about 3-4 miles I just gave up. Every step I was wincing in pain.  We ended up hitching a ride from sightseers headed back to Front Royal.
	My question to you all is, has anyone had this happen before? I've had knee pain, and really sore muscles, but this was nothing like that and very bad. I have some thoughts as to the casues, but I would like to hear other ides on the subject.
1. First long mileage of the year, didn't stretch out enough.
2. My boots are suspect. I replaced the original liners with thinner ones to make more room in the shoe. Trouble is, mu feet took a pounding as a result. One blister on the right, two on the left. Solomon Authentic 7.
3. Della, on  a lead, sometimes likes to keep up a pace that is downright mean. I usually keep up with her (she tries to go way too fast for the first mile. If it is uphill, she helps you up with the pulling!).

Any ideas would be much appriciated. I am reluctant to plan any more outings with long stretches. I am just glad we were where we were, and not in the wilderness area that I was first planning on going to!

Chris Witzgall
Warrenton, VA
Witzgall@citizen.infi.net

Unrecognized Data: application/ms-tnef