[at-l] re: water bags

i forget which jim was asking about using water bags -- meyer?

anyway, i like the dromedary because of it's wide flexible mouth.  you can
usually get water from even the most trickling of springs with this wide
mouth.  i've always thought the bag itself was too heavy, but it is
virtually bomb proof, and every time i hear someone complaining that they
can't fill their narrow-spouted bag fast enough, i'm glad i've got the
dromedary.

i started by filtering directly into the bag, like jim owen.  i found out
at tray mtn that this was a good way to clog your filter really fast.
collecting water in your bag, letting it settle for a bit, then filtering
from the top of the bag is a good way to prolong filter life.  but the main
reason for doing this is to be able to filter the water at your own
convenience, and usually in a lot more comfort than crouching by a stream,
no matter how many handy gadgets and adapters the filter has.  make sure
your filter hose with any attachments will fit all the way into your water
bag.

and i like the webbing straps on the dromedary - makes it real easy to
secure to your pack when carrying water to dry campsites.

and i completely agree with whoever alluded to not filtering enough water
because it was too much trouble at a stream crossing.  i now have my filter
in the most accessible pocket on my pack, plus it's a pur hiker which pumps
easily and fast.  i drink alot more water now.

enough posts, back to work...

mike
ke kaahawe

ps.  curious george is virtually duplicating my hike in 92 so far - just
fanning the flames of my Fever.