[at-l] RE: nalgene vs. pepsi

From: atgoose@knownet.net

pepsi bottles are lighter but the nalgene are more durible and some of
the filters do have ends that fit right onto the nalgene bottles wide
mouths (of bottles) easier to drink out of when you're "pooped"..Also the
lids of some of the nalgene bottles are attached and that does keep them
from falling into the dirt or creek or wherever...I dumped my pop bottle
at Neels Gap..went with 2 nalgene.......Also, I only use unfiltered water
in my waterbag and filter 2 bottles when I get to the shelter (1 to drink
that night and 1 to start the next day with) --when cooking I boil the
water anyway so don't use filtered water to cook with.  If I needed more
it was hangin around in the waterbag and there was enough there in case a
hiker came in late or needed some extra water.....Goose
<<<

For you and the others who put unfiltered water into their water bags, what
do you use to get the water in there in the first place (assuming there
isn't a full-blown river nearby)?  A nalgene or a cup would be the logical
choice, but then how to clean it?  Would just a quick rinse with filtered
water be sufficient to clear out all the nasties?  If so I suppose you could
then use the rinse water in your cooking.  By the way, how many of the
water-sources along the AT are so small as to require the cup technique?
 Most?  Very few?  Only in PA when you have to milk a rock for a drink?  :-)
 Ooooo, I'm full of questions today!

Jennifer
parisi1@brwhcc3.hcc.com