[at-l] new boots for me.

well I finally gave up on my Vasque Sundwoners,

After about ten trail miles on sunday they were starting to show signs of de-lam (these have maybe 50
trail miles on them) and they didn't fit quite right after the break in so I returned them. I tried
various combinations of Sundwoner sizes and inserts and after about six diffeent combos just said
screw it, what else ya got? So I now am sporting a nice new pair of Zamberlan boots. Italian made,
they run a little wider in the forefoot area. They are gore-tex lined (a feature I'll never
understand!, trend I guess) and are heavy! Yeah, the pair of 9 1/2's I bought are about 3 1/2 lbs. I
personally don't mind a heavy boot, especially considering these things look like they could survive
a nuclear blast. So now I guess my mind is much more at ease, I was really starting to wonder if I
could make do with the fit problem in the Vasques, it was like they fit almost perfect, except one
little nagging thing that I kept thinking would go away after the break in. So my final exams are
this week (two big ones tomorrow, wish me luck!) once I finish them and treat the boots (and try to
break them in a little this
week) I'm hitting the Woody Gap->Neels Gap section for an overnighter and then hiking back. I'll give
a performance review if I think they merit it.  BTW, the price was $170.

Does anyone have any experience with these boots? Also, other than totally changing the appearance,
is there any draw back to using Sno-Seal on nu-buck (I guess that's the proper term, not suede,
almost smooth leather, but with just a tiny texture) leather? The REI guy was trying to sell me on a
few different waterproofers, going on about what would and wouldn't clog my gore-tex. I was about to
go into the "why the hell is there g-tex inside the boot anyway" discussion, but thought the better
of it. I think I would actually almost rather have "backwards" g-tex in my boots, that way all the
moisture would stay in the liner and inside and could dry out when the boots were off, rather than
wicking it to the leather side where it'll just get absorbed by the leather. "wicking" socks or not,
foot powder or not, my feet will still be sweaty and wet when hiking in the summer.

enough rambling, time to study.......

Will Strickland -ANTELOPE- ME->GA '97
"Once I was walking down the street, wait....that was someone else..."
  -- Steven Wright--
Internet: gt0556d@prism.gatech.edu