Re: [at-l] Gear List

>How do you use the water bag?  Do you carry filtered water in it, or do you
>use it for cleanup and as a source for filtering?  Do you just use it to
>carry water to camp, or do you use it for longer waterless stretches?
>
>I'm curious!

Jim -
At one time I tried keeping the water bag for filtered water
only - but it was a real hassle.  Now I don't worry about it.
We use it to carry unfiltered water back to camp from the
spring/stream/pond, then pump what we need for drinking
water for that night and the next day, use the bag for bathing,
and use unfiltered water for cooking (unless the source was
cloudy/green/muddy/a pothole in the road/etc).

One thing you don't want to overlook is - how do you get the
water into the bag?  Unless you've got a nice piped spring,
you'll probably have to use a cup or Nalgene bottle to transfer
the water from the pond/spring/stream to the water bag.
But now you've got a "contaminated" cup or bottle, don't you?

That's why I carry iodine tablets as well as a filter.  After the
water bag is full, I also fill the Nalgene bottle, drop in an iodine
tablet and 20 - 30 minutes later make Koolaid (we use the
Nutrisweet flavored variety - it's lighter).  It's easier to drink
massive amounts of Koolaid than water after a long day - and
in fact, is easier for your body to absorb in order to rehydrate.

We've also used the water bag to carry water a couple miles
in order to camp where we want rather than be constrained
to camping at the water source.   We'll certainly use it for the
waterless stretches on the CDT and PCT.  There are very few
long "waterless" stretches on the AT.

Of course, now that I'm thinking about it, what I've said here
will work for the AT, but not necessarily for the western trails.
So I'm gonna have to rethink some of this for future use.
Good question - thank you for asking, Jim.

Walk softly,
Jim