[at-l] Answer to "What is a Tube tent?"

Mike:

A tube tent is definitely a minimilast's approach to shelter.  It's a lot
like a tarp and ground cloth, but I think easier, because it's in one piece.
It is nothing more than a large tube of plastic, about 8' long, with a
diameter of about 6'.  It is a pain to setup compared to a nylon tent.
Here's how to set it up:  1) Find a level spot clear of debris between two
trees, 2) Tie a nylon cord to one tree, about 3-4' off the ground, run it
through the tube tent and tie it off on the other tree. 3) Find four rocks
about 5-10 lbs each, and anchor the floor of the tent by placing them
inside, one at each corner.  4) Steps 4 & 5 are the tricky, but necessary
steps if you want to keep out rain water.  Carry 6 clothespins (the spring
variety) with you.  At both ends of the tent, clip the plastic to the cord.
At each corner, clip the side and the floor.  5) Find two small logs, almost
as long as the width of the tent floor.  On each end of the tent, put the
logs underneath the doorway floor, and secure the edge of the floor under
the log.  This creates a rounded 'lip' or doorjam at the doorway  which
causes rain coming into the tent to roll OUT of the tent, rather than into
the tent.  If the rain is wind-driven through the doorway, improvise.

Advantages:
The tent is waterproof, save for puncture holes.
It can be used as a ground cloth in the shelters to protect a Therma-rest
from punctures.
It's lightweight, less than two lbs.
It's not bulky when rolled up.

Disadvantages:
A disadvantage is that once water gets in, it stays in and continues to sop
your bag, etc., until you can sponge it out.  Another disadvantage is
condensation if the doorways are closed too closely.

Accessories:
As there is no mosquito netting in this tent (or in any shelters!) a sleep
screen (available at REI for @ $35) is a nice thing to have.  It creates a
dome of mosquito netting about two feet over your head and covers the open
end of your sleeping bag.  I got by without one, but there were many nights
I had to close up my bag liner to keep the 'skeeters away!

Cost and availability
A tube tent runs about $9 to $11, and is available in SOME outfitters.  It
might also be available in a Kmart's camping gear section, although I've
never seen one there.  I found them unavailable at REI, Erewhon (a Chicago
outfitter), Manchester Ctr, Hanover, and Gorham.  I believe the one I bought
was made &/or distributed by Coughlin, the low-end camping gear distributor
that has bright orange and green packaging.  Due to their spotty
availability, you may want to buy a few if you find some and send them in
maildrops a month or two down the trail.

Thickness of the plastic
The tube tent I had in boy scouts in the 70's was thicker, perhaps 4 or 5
mil.  This weight would be preferable, but the 2 mil did the job for me.

Hope this info helps!

- Laughing Man

At 10:03 AM 3/17/97 +0000, you wrote:
>hello,
>
>I read yr post about this tent on the list and I was wondering if you
>could describe it a little more for me.  Also do you know where to
>get them.  (was that $9 or 92?)
>
>> I replaced it with a $9 2mil plastic tube tent that lasted from
>> Harpers Ferry to Andover, ME.  I only tented when I had to, so it did not
>> get a lot of use.  Electrician's tape took care of the holes.
>
>Thanks,
>Mike
>mike@ncsu.edu
>
>"When have ducks ever flown away?"

Christian E Rademacher
Northwestern University, Evanston, IL.   USA
c-rademacher@nwu.edu