[at-l] Compass

While hiking with my boss through New York 3 years ago, we lost the trail
(after watching a thru hiker pass us, we must have been in awe of his
speed).  We ended up on the Red Cross trail... after 2 hours of hiking
the Red Cross trail ended and we were left in the middle of no where.  We
did what any smart section hiker would do... we sat down, had lunch, and
took a long nap.  After this treat, I pulled out my trusty compass, located
north and headed in that direction.  We eventually came apon a blue blaze
trail that took us up to a shelter (West Mountain comes to mind, the summit
had been burned by a campfire that set fire to all the roots underground-
Sharon feel free to correct me).  If we didn't have the compass with us
we would have had alot of backtracking to do.  If you are concerned with
the weight, try a hiking staff with the compass built in to the top.  Somw
watches also come with compasses on the wristband.  Better safe than sorry.

"I was in a daze, moving in the wrong direction..."-Bonnie Raitt

							Pat