Re: [at-l] Gear List

I'll couple my prediction with a request.  I predict that the following end
up out of your pack:

>Cyalume Light Sticks
>Razor
>Nail Clipper
>Jungle Fatigue Pants (maybe)
>Buck Knife (replaced)

I don't know what "Jungle Fatigue Pants" are, but if they are anything but
light nylon or polyester, I bet you'll end up ditching them.  Also, why
have both the fatigue pants and the Hydrenaline pants?

I'd replace both the buck knife (I don't know what sort it is) and the nail
clipper with a "Classic" swiss army knife or something similar.  The
classic weighs less than an ounce and has a small blade (big enough), a
nail file/screwdriver (pretty useless), and a small but surprisingly good
pair of scissors.  The scissors make short work of nails.

Now my request: I'd love to hear how you end up feeling about the
poncho/microfiber suit combination.  I gather the idea is to use the
microfiber suit for wind and light rain protection, and to break out the
poncho for really heavy (cold) rain.  And then in heavy rain and wind, hope
that the combination keeps you warm enough.  I've thought of that combo
myself, and am really curious to hear how it works for you!

I have heard people say that poncho's just don't work well in high wind,
and that they get caught in brush.  I've also heard people suggest rigging
a belt to help keep the poncho under control and out of the way.  I have no
direct experience with this though.

In terms of purely missing stuff, I'll echo that you ought to bring a
plastic shovel and some TP.

I don't consider myself super experienced, so take the above for what its
worth.  I hope it helps.

-- Jim