[at-l] Re: Gear List

In a message dated 97-03-15 16:33:17 EST, deer@epix.net (bob) writes:

<< OK, here is another gear list for ya'll to pick apart. Let's make
 this one interesting though. I'm leaving on March 23, and my wife
 Jan is gonna post my journals on the AT-L (Thanks Milt & Ryan!!!).
 Now, if you see something that I'm missing, please e-mail me ASAP.
 But, as far as my extra stuff goes, I'm takin' it all (VBG). What I'd
 like to see ya do is post your guesses as to what I'm gonna dump off
 at Neels Gap (or burn before I get there).
 BTW, with 4 days of food I weigh in at 50 lbs.
 Thanks for the input...
 bob

 TNF Cascade Backpack Large

 SAS Shelter Tarp
 5 Aluminum Pegs
 75 feet of 550 Cord (shelter & food bag)

 OR Dryloft Bag Cover / Bivy
 Thermarest Staytec Long
 SD Lite 'N Up Long (20*)

 Pur Scout Water Filter
 2 Nalgene 1000ml Bottles
 1 Sm. Plastic Squirt Bottle

 MSR Whisperlite Intl. 600
 650ml Fuel bottle
 MSR 2 Litre Pot
 Pot Holder
 Lexan Cup
 Lexan Spoon

 PonchDUMP THE PONCHO AND GET SOME RAIN GEAR IT DOUBLES FOR A GOOD LAYER OF
WARMTH. SO YOU COULD LEAVE ANOTHER PAIR OF PANTS AT HOME.
 Compass
 Map Case
 Current Map & Guide Book
 AT Data Book
 Pages From Thru-Hikers Companion
 Reading Book PAPER BACK I HOPE SO YOU CAN BURN THE EXTRA WEIGHT
 Writing Paper & Pen
 Thermometer
 Mini-Mag Light w/ Head Strap
 Kodak Advantix 4100 Camera & Film
 CAN'T FORGET THE TOILET PAPER FERNS DONT WORK VERY WELL.
DONT FORGET THE MINI POOPER SHOVEL EITHER.
 1st Aid Kit & Personal Hygeine Supplies MAYBE SOME BABY POWDER
 2 Bandanas
 Buck Knife
 2 EpiPens
 2 Loperamide HCL (anti-diarrheal)
 Band-Aids
 Floss & Needle
 Aspirin IBUPROFIN A MUST TO KEEP INFLAMATION DOWN IN THE KNEES WITH A 50 #
PACK YOU'LL NEED EM
 Supple Lips
 Calohist
 DEET  you know I never have problems with bugs I eat a lot of GARLIC in all
my food proven fact that garlic will repell mosquitos and ticks.  powder in
my spice collection(food bag).  it will even repell some people if you eat
enough.
 Bonner's Soap
 Tooth Brush TOOTH PASTE MAYBE
 T-Bags
 Cyalume Light Sticks
 Razor GET A DISPOSABLE IN YOUR MAIL DROP.
 Nail Clipper POCKET KNIFE WILL WORK. PRACTICE FIRST!

 Corcoran II Boots
 Reebok Amazon Sandals
 4 pair Rohner Wool Socks THIS MAY SOUND SILLY BUT IT WORKS.  PUT NYLON
STOCKINGS ON UNDER YOUR WOOL TO KEEP AWAY THE HOT SPOTS.
 Capilene Mid Wt. Bottoms
 Thermax Hvy Wt. Top
 Fleece Jacket
 2 50/50 T-Shirts
 Reebok Stretch Shorts NYLON I HOPE SO THEY WILL DRY.  I HIKE IN NYLON
SWIMMING TRUNKS IN MOST WEATHER DRY QUICKLY AND YOU DON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT
COTTON UNDERWEAR.
 TNF Hydrenaline Jacket & Pants
 Jungle Fatigue Pants  I USE HOSPITOL ISSUE SURGERY PANTS AND SHIRT FOR CAMP
WEAR. NOT HEAVY PANTS AND IF I NEED IT I USE MY RAIN GEAR OVER THAT FOR AN
EXTRA LAYER.
 Lt. Wt. Balaclava
 Boonie Hat
 Bug Net
 Walking Stick (wood)

 Valpolicella (1 Litre)I DONT KNOW THIS ONE >>

Just my thoughts, looks like you have prepared really well.  Share with us,
just what will you be eating on the first 4 days of hiking.

Good luck on your quest.
May the dirt beneth your feet feel as soft as a feather, and most of all I
hope you find everything you are looking for.

Later
Ryan
can you tell I am GREEN with envy