Re: [at-l] Star Gazing

Lynn, actually the Smoky MT Park is a great place. I have spent time star
gazing in front of Russell, Spence Field and Molly's Ridge shelters. The
lights from the near by towns did not obscure the skies. Because of the
humidity the winter skies are the clearest but the summers are not to
bad. The Smokies get their name from the mist and haze, I am told.

I recall a hike I made with my youngest son to Russell field. It was in
December 94, I think. I went outside the shelter to look at the stars. I
was so taken by the view that I didn't know if I should shout for joy or
drop to my knees in reverence and worship. The Milkyway was so clear
that even with my poor eyesight I could just about count the stars.
Hopeful