Re: [at-l] Re: Wingfoot's Handbook

In a message dated 97-02-07 00:12:43 EST, danieljg@owlnet.rice.edu (Dan
Grossman) writes:

<< Wingfoot's Thru-Hiker's Handbook is a tremendous gift to the
 community.  It made my 96 hike much more enjoyable.  I wouldn't think of
 taking a step in 97 without it.  I am disheartened by the animosity from
 some parts of the AT community towards the book.  I never found the book
 substantively wrong.  >>

I heartily agree.  I will say though that last Fall I had my heart set on
pizza at the Mt Rogers Headquarters, and when I got there only chicken was
being delivered up there....no pizza delivery posted at all.  I believe it
might have been  the Thru-Hiker's Handbook that got my heart set on the
pizza, but I wouldn't swear to it. I didn't order the chicken, but enjoyed
watching others eat theirs.  I thought it was high priced and we were to be
off the trail in another couple of days anyway.  I can't say that this
"error" was life-threatening. Ha!

ALice
Illinois Flatlander