[at-l] Peggy

I appreciate all of the comments about Peggy.  Did she make me feel
uncomfortable,  yes for a while,  scared,  no.  I enjoyed talking with her,
even if she made no sense.  I shared my hot water with her at dinner and
breakfast.  I could tell others have been looking out after her and that is
good.

Mental illness is just that and illness.  We would never joke about someones
cancer or diabetes.  What makes us uncomfortable is that sub-conciously we
realize how mentally fragile we are;  how close are we to being crazy?  A lot
closer than we realize or want to know.

A light moment occurred when she said that I might hear her in the middle of
the night,  making coffee over her fire.  I told her as long as I didn't see
her pacing around with an ax I would be OK.  She laughed.  I had seen journal
entries from earlier hikers so I knew others had survived a night with Peggy.

Take care all and lets take care of the Peggy's of the world as best we know
how.

David Craft
Greensboro,  NC