[at-l] ONE sports/delam

>I've noticed a lot of postings about One Sport Moraines.  I went thru 2
> pairs in 500 miles on the AT in '96.  They have a good reputation for coming
> apart at the toe.  Anybody with similiar negative maraine stories???

I had similar problems with Moraines in '96.  The toe was peeling before
I hit Erwin and One Sport was of little help.  I had no choice but to
stick it out with them and see how far they got me.  With dilligent glue
application every 60-100 miles I managed to coax 1500 miles out of them.
Without constant glue the bottom would have peeled right off.
I consider myself very fortunate to have got that many miles out of them,
but the glue was a pain.  I met many other people who were having real
problems with the Moraines.  I still have the boots, and it seems that
with more glue they'll be good for a few more miles, but the leather is
starting to break down around the lace rings.
I can't complain about the fit.  Only one small blister that lasted 1
day, and only because of a particularly brutal few days of rain.

I think that any boot that comes apart before how many miles it
is to Erwin is defective.
I am very statisfied with the boot and am considering buying another pair,
but I am concerned about the durability.  don't know if there was just a bad
batch of boots, or if there is a problem in general.

I talked to the boot warranty people at Mountain Equipment Co-op about
the problem and the said that they had very similar complaints about
delamination early in the boots life from all boot types.  The responce
of the manufactures was that with the variety of high tech materials in
boots today that there was no glue that would hold very well.  They
recommended that people be aware of this when they purchase a boot and
they carry glue to fix the expected delamination.  If the delamination is
taken care of on a regular basis, the boot should hold.

I have a hard time buying the expected delamination story when I know all
kinds of people who didn't have delamination problems, even after 1500
miles.

I'm interested in buying another pair of Moraines, but I'm afraid of them
falling apart again.

Craig "Canada" Walker

Ga -> Mass '96