[at-l] re: the closer it gets... the more stuff they suggest

to phil and the rest of the 97ers that haven't left yet:

>>>  Has anyone else noticed that the closer it gets to launch time,
the more stuff people suggest you ought to take?  I mean, just 2-3 weeks
ago no one was mentioning anything other than making sure i had warm
clothes and food.  Now any little thing is mentioned...

I keep telling them that all these little things add up, but it doesn't
matter.  What do I do to combat these add ons?!  <<<

don't fret about it, for two reasons.

1)  we talk so much on this list about weight, you'd think it was all that
matters.  i've said before i started with 65lbs... you'll learn as you go.
rooster (92) actually started with an 8" cast iron skillet and a pack full
of fresh vegetables.  he made a great saute until he got rid of the
skillet.  he ended up being one of the strongest hikers i knew about (after
lightening his load), routinely doing 30 mile days (he didn't plan them,
he'd just do them).

2)  the trail is conveniently planned with two early bail-out points,
suches and neel's gap.  only a few days away.  even with 65lbs or more, you
can make it that far and dump the unwanted gear.  in fact, you might even
*plan* on taking a little extra, find out what works for you, what you're
willing to carry and what you're willing to sacrifice in the name of
Gruntzalot, the demon god of pack weight.

it's all those little things right before you start that start to add up.
but in the back of your head is a voice saying "but i might not be able to
live without it!"  you'll know soon enough - you don't have to start with
the perfect pack.  i carried things others would have ditched in an
instant, and vice versa.  you're all more prepared than i or most pre-AT-L
thruhikers.  enough with the gear planning, just let the hike do the rest.

relax, have fun, enjoy the anticipation, you're gonna be fine!

mike
ke kaahawe

Michael Henderson		mikeh@royalrobbins.com

Mountaineers are always free -- State motto West Virginia