[at-l] Re: bets, finishing, mental, military training, etc

I know that some of this stuff is from older posts, but I've been
thinkin' on it for a while.

 > I hope you are looking forward to following the Class of '97 as much
 > as I am.--Wingfoot
 >
 > Any bets on how many of these, and who among these, make it all the
 > way? --Steve Dopp
 >
 > do you find any comparison between the mental/physical challenge of
 > the hike and that of US Army Ranger training or Navy SEAL BUD/S
 > training? --Jim Greenway
 >
 > There was a realization that anything I truly wanted could be mine,
 > if I was only willing to pay the price...there is a difference
 > between just doing something as long as it is fun, and doing it to
 > the finish because you are committed to it...--Ginny O.
 >
 >QUITTING IS NOT AN OPTION --MaineRose

I am looking forward to following the '97ers... Actually, following
some and preceeding others. (I'm leaving in about 12 days :)))
I intend on reading all the journals when I take a few days off back
up here in Pa. Then I'll read the rest when I finish in September.

In reference to the bets on how many and who will make it all the
way:
I do believe that the folks who have been around the AT-L & the
ATML for a while and paid attention to the wisdom shared will have
increased their chances of completing the 2160 miles.

Its evident that some in this electronic community who had planned on
hiking this year decided to put it off for a year or two in order to
be better prepared. I think that some arrived at this decision based
upon wisdom from this list - this is good.

Great, we have increased wisdom & knowledge, we have people who
shouldn't start for a year or two staying home until their timing
is right. But, we still should look at the fact that in past years
there has been about a 90 percent wash-out rate. Our numbers should
be better than that, but how much? I really would like to see everyone
on this list make it this year, but they won't. I think that if half
of us make it it would be phenomenal.

I've been thinking for about the past year... "why would I quit?".
The answer, for me, is that I can't quit, I cannot allow that to
be an option for me, or I may take it. I cannot afford that kind
of thinking to even enter my mind.

Years ago I went to the Special Forces Qualification Course.
I saw one guy finish with a broken arm, saw people quit because of
blisters, I saw grown men cry. Everybody there got to be tired,
hungry, cold, wet (along with everything you own), pushed to your
limits, and alone. The guys who finished weren't the biggest or
the baddest, but they were the best soldiers of their generation.
The attitude there was like Ginny's - you can have anything if you
want it bad enough - like MaineRose's - quitting can't be an option -
Some people found out that quitting is a decision that can come too easy
because it is a heavy weight you will carry the rest of your life.
BTW, the SFQC had a completion rate of about 10 percent.
The army tried all sorts of prepratory courses, but the rate still
stayed at about 10 percent. Anybody want to venture a guess why there
are more wannabes than there are been theres?

Commitment???

So, class of 97, whatcha willin to pay?

See ya out there

bob