[at-l] noisy hikers

We've gotten so used to noisy hikers out here, that we don't even notice
them anymore.  We have singers, loud talkers, those who shake cans full
of little stones.  I've  been known to hang bells on my pack and arrange
my large blue porcelain cup so that it bangs on the frame of my outdated
pack and even to stop every so often before rounding a blind bend on the
trail to loudly announce my name, address and zip code.
  Why you may ask????
  Cause we have a tiny little critter out here known as  Ol' GRIZZBEAR
and he/she sometimes takes great displeasure at being surprised.  Tis a
humbling experience sharing the ecosystem with a critter that not only
can eat your lunch but have you for lunch.  Being noisy in the wilderness
here does not reduce the pleasure of a hike but it does increase your
chances for arriving at the end of the trail with all body parts intact.
There are also, at various times of the year, very large horny and
aggressive bull moose and elk, disturbed bison, not so placid range
cattle and not a few "self styled freemen.  So heres the deal, WE promise
to hike the AT as quietly as we can if you promise to make as much noise
on our trails as YOU can.

Karen & Michael
Running K/Lazy M Ranch
Montana