[at-l] ref: Lekis

To the list,
	I've seen alot of mail on the Lelki Poles.  I would like to add a few
comments and opinions. Twice now I have been taking a break while doing
a hike,  once at a shelter reading the register and once at a place
called Claudis Smiths Rock, a beautiful over look.  Both times I was
alone and enjoying the spirit and serenity of my hike.  When all of a
sudden I heard an unnatural sound in the woods, this sound kept coming
closer and getting louder all the time.  It was a very annoying sound
and formed a certain rythem that destroyed any serenity and peace,  not
only for me but also to the animals in the general location.  After I
would estimate 3-4 minutes a hiker came into few with these hiking
sticks/ski poles.
         I have no Idea if the hikers using these poles realize the
distance that the sound travels or how the continuing unnatural noise
takes away from others Idea of the outdoors.
         Now I guess these poles are made from aluminum and hit and bang
off the rocks on the trail.  A solution would be to possibly make them
out of wood or Bamboo. Therefor the sound would be muffled and all
person could gain the benefit of the poles and not take away from others
outdoor experiences.

Strider

Goshen, New York