Re: [at-l] Nantahala, boots, socks, etc.

Mike@unity.ncsu.edu wrote:

> Nantahala questions?  I am going to take 4 or 5 days in the near
> future to hike around.  I am thinking of going either to Joyce
> Kilmer, Shining Rock, or parts of the AT near Wesser.  When does
> "spring" begin around there (i.e. when does it begin to get green).
> Does anybody have any areas that they would suggest going?
> I either need to do a fairly large loop (or a few smaller ones) hike
> or find rides/hitchhike.
> Is hitching OK to do in areas other than those immediately adjacent
> to the AT?

There are a number of possible 4-5 day loops in Kilmer/Slickrock/Citico
Creek.  Good alternative to the Smokies.  Weather can vary a lot this
time of year, remember the top is 4 - 5000 feet & considerably colder &
snowier than the bottoms.  Big storms possible as late as April.

Leafout begins in the hollows around April 1.  Leafout up top is pretty
complete by the end of that month.

Creeks are high until after leafout, especially Slickrock, which is
unbridged.  Rainfall can drive them up very fast.

Wilderness maps available from USFS, Route 1, Box 16-A, Robbinsville, NC
28771, call (704)479-6431 for current prices.

Good network of trails at Shining Rock & in the Pisgah NF east of the
Blue Ridge, but harder to make a long loop.  Numerous 2-3 day loops,
though.  Haven't tried hitching.

Shining Rock is heavily used & beautiful.  Goes up to 6000'.  Cold Mt.
is well-named.    Maps & info from USFS, P.O. Box 8, Pisgah Forest, NC
28768, (704)877-3265.