Re: [at-l] pack pick apart

Gas@aol.com wrote:

> I agree with Phil, lose the snake bit kit.
>
> Why.  If you see a rattlesnake, you will be very fortunate.
>
> If you see a rattlesnake and it actually bites you, you will be among the
> chosen few.

Actually, Marty's _dog_ has a much better chance of being bitten by a
snake than any of us. I feel very fortunate to have seen a timber
rattlesnake on a trail in Virginia last year (it was lying in the middle
of the trail on a cool morning, trying to warm up). What an incredibly
beautiful animal!  Neither my wife nor I ever felt in the slightest
danger. Then another hiking party came barrelling down the trail in the
other direction, with two dogs off leash. I don't think that they ever
understood why we were yelling at them to leash their d--- dogs!

I might carry a snakebite kit in the Southwest, especially if travelling
alone and far from medical treatment. But I think I'd have a long talk
with my doctor first about using it.

Cheers,

Ken