[at-l] Class of 97

Some of you are leaving in the next week or so - and  I've  probably
missed a few who have already left, but I wanted to add my best
wishes for the Class of 97.

As a whole, those who have been on at-l and atml are probably the
best prepared Class to ever venture onto the AT. Just one example
is the two posts put out on at-l by Brian (Sir Goober Peas) and Alan
Julliard in the last couple days.  Between them, they're the
finest exposition of cold weather thruhiking I've yet seen.
And that's only one example of the depth of knowledge available
to those on the two lists.   You might want to say "Thank you" to
Wingfoot and Ryan Brooks and Milt Webb for providing the atml
and at-l lists, respectively.

With the preparation and knowledge that you've had available,
I hope to see a lot of you at the Gathering in October or to hear
from you on the lists when you get back.   The knowledge that
you've been given has been "free" - and hopefully some of you will
feel the need to repay that gift by passing on your knowledge and
experience on to others.

But whatever you do or learn or become - Just Do It !!

You go on the crest of a great bow wave of envy and longing
as well as good wishes and, yes, even love from those you
leave behind.   Go joyfully - and remember that even on the
bad days - Life is Good.

Walk softly,
Jim & Ginny Owen
Bald Eagle (92) & Spiritwalker (88 & 92)