[at-l] re: blister prevention

michael:

about taping - yes usually after the first day i'll feel hot spots and slap
on a piece of white athletic tape.  this prevents any blisters for me.
duct tape works well too.  in fact, there may have been a peice of tape
somewhere on my feet all the way from ga-me!

whatever your method, as soon as you feel hot spots, even if it's right
after that long break you took, or you're only a mile from the shelter,
stop and treat right away before it gets any worse.  this will allow you
many more miles later, believe me.

i've heard of lining the appropriate areas of your footwear with duct tape.
 i have not done this yet, but i'm going to try.  i usually wear out the
achilles heal portion of the boot lining pretty quick (which means i'm
rubbing quite a bit there).  lining that area will not only provide a
smooth surface with less friction, but will help preserve the original
lining and padding.

and finally, there's a really easy way.  don't hike 20 miles  :).
seriously, when you start your thru hike, take a few days, maybe up to a
week or so, at 10-12miles a day.  this will give your feet time to toughen
up.  then they won't be so stressed by doing 20.

when it really comes down to it, you can get blisters at any time.  i still
got blisters every once in a while even in after 2000 miles.  it's a matter
of catching the hot spots before they become blisters.

mike
ke kaahawe

Michael Henderson		mikeh@royalrobbins.com

Success is a state of mind that anyone can use to climb their own
mountains.  -- Royal Robbins