Re: [at-l] Tincture of benzoin/feet toughening

middaugh@best.com wrote:
> Tincture of Benzoin works great. I found out about it from some rock
> climbers who use it to toughen their hands.  BUT, it must be applied for
> about a week BEFORE one plans to start hiking.  I put it on my feet at
> night, then put on light cotton socks so I don't stick to the sheets.
>
> I get mine at just about any drug store, but sometimes you have to ask the
> clerks where it is.

Thanks, Catherine. I usually use alcohol(on my feet!) about a week
before and then pre-treat potential hotspots with a product called
Compede before I hike. I haven't sustained a blister in two years. But,
I think I may try the benzoin prior to my April hike at Springer. Hey,
if you say it works and Colin Fletcher says it works, then there must be
something to it, right? Thanks for your reply.

Pete