[at-l] Trailplace Problems

Thanks to everyone who has reported problems using Trailplace in recent
weeks. The page is designed to be used with Netscape 3.0 or MSIE 3.0, and
users of these two browsers have reported only minor problems (missing
links here and there, etc.). Those using older browsers have reported more
serious problems. Some we will correct, such as the blinking text problem
on the Contents page mentioned by Kahley. However, I have decided to go
with Netscape3/MSIE3 as the "browsers of choice" for this page, for several
reasons, and not to adjust the page for older browsers. This is, of course,
an arbitrary decision, but a fair one considering that the two mentioned
browsers are widely available either free or for a nominal charge for
anyone who needs them. Trailplace is developing into a very large page with
a complicated structure that we have tried to make simple, at least as
simple as a large multi-faceted page can be. Now that the basic design work
is nearing completion, the page will begin filling up with content
material. As it fills with information in the coming months, it will become
very large indeed, and will eventually (in a year or two) have close to
200MB of content covering virtually every aspect of the AT and thru-hiking,
maybe more. So, even though we are aware of some problems using the page
with older versions of Netscape and MSIE, as well as with other browsers,
we will not try to make the page work with every browser available today.
The page is just too big and too complicated in structure to do that and
accomplish what we are trying to accomplish with this page. Instead, we
will concentrate on having an information-packed page that works with the
two most widely used browsers, and depend on users to adjust to the demands
of the page if they wish. I might add that access times have been slow in
recent weeks, mainly due to problems with the internet connections that our
server connects to. We have the very best of equipment for our server, with
a T3 connection, so there is nothing we can do on our end to speed things
up. I hope that this is a temporary slow-down that will soon be fixed by
whoever is responsible for doing so. Again, thanks for any feedback that
you have given. It helps us serve you, and we appreciate it.--Wingfoot