[at-l] Tincture of benzoin/feet toughening

I pulled out my very old copy of Colin Fletcher's "The Complete Walker
III" and was perusing the section on getting ready for a hike when I
rediscovered Colin's method for toughening his feet prior to a hike.

He used to use plain rubbing alcohol a week before his hike, but changed
to tincture of benzoin. He said it worked well. Has anyone out there had
any experience with this stuff? Mr. Fletcher says it's available in
drugstores, but I've not seen the stuff. I will appreciate your replies.
Thanks.

Peter H. Fornof
athiker@plantnet.com
broknspoke@aol.com