[at-l] re: finishing the whole trail

the engineer/planner type in me just does not like doing a portion of
something.  i viewed the AT in its entirety.  i would have been
disappointed had i not finished (ie at katahdin), but would not have
discounted the experience.

i have no desire to section hike the PCT or CDT or ADT or other super-long
trail.  if i have the time to go do a few weeks of hiking, i'd rather find
a trail in the 100-300mile range, and there are plenty of them.  it's
really crazy, but i'd rather thruhike Northville-Lake Placid, and the Long,
and the Tahoe-Yosemite, and the Finger Lakes, and the John Muir, and the
Tuscarora, and the Ozark Highlands, etc. over a period of years, than do
the PCT piecemeal over the same period of time.  i'll wait for (and work
for) the perfect opportunity to thru hike the real long ones.

i am not content with one thruhike.  since climbing katahdin, i am
constantly thinking how i can arrange my life to be able to do another, and
another.  like marty, i don't see myself failing (i believe in holding the
complete vision in front of you and working towards it), but i am
experienced enough to know that "failure," or non-attainment of the
original goal, is possible.

the AT, however, i'll now hike anytime, anywhere, for any length.  it is my
first love and i cannot forget.  there is a constant siren song in my head,
and it gets awfully loud this time of year.  pete - any supplements for
springer fever?

mike
ke kaahawe

Michael Henderson		mikeh@royalrobbins.com

Success is a state of mind that anyone can use to climb their own
mountains.  -- Royal Robbins