[at-l] re: About the boot/shoe thing

kahley:

i've had a similar experience, tho not to the extreme that you experienced.

that last time i used my fabiano (not fabio) mtn master boots was in 92
from springer to damascus.  since then everything has been 2-3.5lbs lighter
per pair.  i really enjoy hiking in lightweight footwear.

however, last july, i had the opportunity to attempt to climb 14000+ ft mt.
shasta with a friend who was doing the pct at the time (this was his idea
of a day off!).  so i dug out my trusty fabiano's, my only
crampon-compatible boots.  oh my, what a difference!  my feet weren't sore,
i wasn't in pain (other than my lungs) but i couldn't move my feet!  my
muscles were just not used to lifting those suckers.  i felt like a slug up
the approach trail.  then the altitude started kicking in and i was tired
anyway.  we only made it up to about 11000+ ft cos the weather was bad and
neither of us had been up before.  needless to say, i didn't mind turning
around and glissading down a few thousand feet!

the next day i was SORE.  hamstrings and calves mostly.  and i was in
pretty good summer/lightweight backpacking shape.  it really drove home
what a difference a couple extra pounds on my feet make.

sounds like you had a similar but more severe reaction (my hip joints are
always sore if i haven't been walking lots), but i am kinda surprised by
the extremity.  sounds like you got used to walking in the non-supportive
shoes, and your more supportive boots might have been forcing you into an
ergonomically uncomfortable gait.  i hope it didn't last long.

mike
ke kaahawe

Michael Henderson		mikeh@royalrobbins.com

Success is a state of mind that anyone can use to climb their own
mountains.  -- Royal Robbins