[at-l] overtraining, what to do?

The weekend went badly for me in that I reached a level of fatigue I just
don't tolerate well. I've been carrying 15 lbs on my back and walking rocky
trails (some up and down) and dirt roads in areas close to Boston.
Distances have been 6-8 miles, and on President's weekend did a total of 25
miles. No problems, no sore spots, and the boots are working well.

So I had a chance this past weekend to hike one of the smaller mountains in
NH with friends. I knew it'd be tough, but pre surgery I could easily hike
with this group of guys. It was Kearsarge North, near North Conway - has a
360 view with some nice views into Carter Notch, of Mt Washington, the
Moots, and you even look over the dotted line into Maine. 3 miles to the
top, 2800 feet altitude gain, snow depth of several feet, pack weight
almost 20lbs.

Hiking wasn't the problem, I kept my energy up by eating along the way and
watering. There were a couple of beginners so we had lots of stops for
layer changing. The ledges gave us a break at about the 2 mile mark. We
reached the firetower (enclosed) just before a dark cloud decided to dump
on us so we stayed dry for a long leasurely lunch. Heading down, also no
problem, we got a kick out of sliding on our snowshoes in places (safe
places, not near the chutes that could take us out of control).

So, what happened? Woke up yesterday and felt like I had been hit by a bus.
No serious pain in any area, had some tightness around my neck and
shoulders, but more noticeably a distinct shortness of breath (shallow
breathing), a terrible headache that didn't respond to the over the counter
meds, and a strong depleted feeling inside. (btw, feel much better today,
the headache was _not_ a migraine)

Question for the list - aside for avoiding what caused this problem, any
suggestions for dealing with these immobilizing aftereffects? Did a
Saturday night bath with a box of baking soda in the water, took a few
Ibuprofen (vitamin I) before going to bed. Got enough rest.

Thanks - Rockdancer

Arthur Gaudet
BBN, Inc. 617-873-2802
email: agaudet@bbn.com