[at-l] Re:Bears

Saw alot of bear droppings just north of Pass Mtn Hut is the SNP during a
day hike in June 1995 but never saw a bear during my 1996 thru-hike, except
in Bear Mtn Zoo in New York.  But I will say that there were alot of
mention in the registers about bears & cubs along the trail.  Good luck
with your hike,

At 07:33 AM 2/17/97 -0500, Snodrog5@aol.com wrote:
> Only bear trouble I can share is from Baxter. Bears are common around
>Katahdin Stream, Abol and Daicy Pond in the summer months. Springtime, ie
>May, is pretty quiet as the bears are adjusting, and sows w/ cubs are very
>shy about hikers and campers. If you see a small black bear in Spring the
>mom's around somewhere, forget the pictures, and leave. In September, when
>many AT hikers are in the Park the bear situation is usually in hand, the BSP
>folks will know where the trouble is or has been. This info will change each
>season, so it's "ask the Ranger" time. There are lots of Black Bear from
>Monson on North, so use your head about food storage, and take a good look
>around the blueberry patches, 'cuz you never know bout dem bears......
> HappyTrails> TraderJohn

David L Atkinson Jr
"Fanny Pack" '96 GA->ME