Re: [at-l] Bears on the AT

Jim Loudon wrote:

> I've never seen bear in my home state of Pennsylvania...

We got 'em here Jim. I've seen them, momma cubs & all,
through out the year. Yup, even in the Winter.
I've seen where they live and where they sleep.
The ones we have are "backcountry bears", and I hope that
they stay that way. They don't like people... did steal my
mom's garbage once but when she hollered at him he ran like
hell and dropped the bag in about 30m.
The only time that they seem to leave the swamp and go up on the
mountain is just after deer season, so they can clean up after
the hunters.
If you spent a night at the Leroy Smith shelter, you were, no doubt,
within 1500m of a black bear or two.

bob