Mt Oglethorpe

Hi everyone, I'm no longer lurking on these lists, I've come up with my
first question.

By way of introduction, I'm 44, from Boston, single, doing GA-->ME starting
March 25. My friends know me as a peak bagger, and I've done the NH 4000
footers (all 48 in non-Winter, almost half of them in calendar Winter
including Washington and some of the other Presidentials). I also like
rock, thus my trailname Rockdancer.

My longest backpack has been 7 days in the Smokies, with other backpacks in
Adirondacks, Tetons, Rockies and Sierras (Sequoia NP). I'm a Winter leader
for the Appalachian Mountain Club, and also lead for two other local
outdoor clubs.

My longest outdoor event is a 7 week crosscountry bicycle ride - Summer of
'88. 4000 miles in 50 days. Loved something about every day I was out
there, hated to see it end.

Just a quick question, perhaps someone knows the history.

Mt Oglethorpe, in Georgia, was once the starting
point of the AT. I seem to remember reading somewhere that it is now in
private hands and cannot be hiked without "trespassing". Just wondering if
you can confirm that info. (I probably got it wrong, perhaps it's the land
connecting Oglethorpe to the present AT that is now in private ownership.)

Thanks --Arthur

btw, Here's Dan Bruce's response on the same question.