[at-l] RE: Ooops, I Weighed my Pack

Kahley wrote:

>I'm thinking about the pot, but how about some input on the flashlight?
>I have a squeeze light on my bellybag as a back up and a Tec light
>from LLBean...<4oz. Should I dump that and go for a headlamp?  Maybe
>the Zoom?  I know it's more weight but they seem to be very popular.
>I don't usually night-hike much but I do seem to end up setting camp and
>eating in the dark.  Also, I heard someone mention putting a bike light
>on the frame of an ex-pack.??

This year, my wife and I have switched to the Mini-Mag Solitaire.  It uses
one AAA battery.  The flashlight, with battery, weighs 1 ounce.  Combine
this with a Jackstrap or other commercially-available flashlight headstrap
and you have a 2 ounce headlamp.  Since we haven't tried this yet, I can't
really say how well it will work but we think it will work just fine.
Besides, look how lightweight it is!  An extra battery is also lightweight!

Here is another idea.  How much does your cup weigh?  We just replaced our
heavy, clear acrylic 12 fluid oz. mugs with lighter weight 8 oz. plastic
mugs.  Our acrlycic mug is the type that is sold by Campmor and weighs 6 oz
(as best I can remember off the top of my head).  Although the side wall of
the cup is insulated, it has no lid. Our new mugs come from Burger King,
have a lid, and weigh 3.5 oz.  Although very light, I don't like the
titanium cups because they transfer heat too fast and my hot chocolate will
get cold in a hurry!

We used to use fancy cook kits and personal care kits sold by Campmor that
contain everything you need in nicely organized nylon pouches.   However, I
found the nylon pouches were too heavy and replaced them with zip-lock bags
(I also threw out most of the items contained in these kits).

Keep looking Kahley, perhaps you can find more lightweight alternatives for
your hike.