[at-l] Zip Stove

Hi Kahlena,
I also use a Sierra Zip Stove and really enjoy using it.

>Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 22:12:21 -0500
>From: kahlena <kahley7@ptd.net>
>Subject: [at-l] Sierra Zip Stove..Long
>
>Hi all...
>Someone asked me for the pros and cons of the Zip stove.
>Sorry but I couldn't find your address ...darn that delete!
>And it's probably good to put this up to the list because
>I really love my stove and am probably prejudiced in my respons.
>
>The pros:
>No worries about which fuel, how much fuel you are using, where
>to get more, or fuel leaking on your new down bag because you
>_don't_ carry_fuel!  Well to be honest, I usually use one fire
>to dry out some tinder for the next fire so I do carrysome tinder
>and firestarter.
At times I used cotton balls with vaseline as a fire starter and it worked
well for me.  I stored the cotton and vaseline in a zip lock bag.  I would
take small piece of cotton with vaseline on it and stretch it out and place
it at the bottom of the bowl and put some tinder on top and presto it's
ready. Lint from a dryer also works well as a fire starter.
I never thought of drying some tinder for the next use of the stove.  This
weekend when I am backpacking I'll give it a try.  Thanks for the tip.
> My stove is listed at one oz more than the whisperlite
>and the pot (with a pan for a lid) that they sell for it, is listed at
>10oz. I carry a metal bandaid box (<1oz) to put the ashes and half
>burned stuff in.(Remember what Smokey says...)  So my total weight
>for the stove,_ the pot and pan_, a windscreen and ash box is about 30
>0z.
This weekend I am going to cook without the windscreen and the two piece of
metal to raise the level of the pot (saves 5oz in weight) I'll let you know
how it works out.
The company says a AA battery last for 6 hours of stove use.  I've used one
for just 2 or 3 day trips and one battery last for all my meals.
>Because you need not worry about how much fuel you are using, your
>diet becomes more diverse...cooking time is limited only by your hunger.
>The stove really puts out the heat...I've never done the time to boil
>thing...but it's quick enough for me, and it simmers really well.
>The two speed fan (plus off) give you lots of control especially
>when you add in the control you have over how much wood you put in.
>It burns anything ...pine cones, bark, paper (no plastic please)...
>wet or dry...once you get it started. But wet stuff does smoke more.
>The leftover charcoal from other people's fires works really well.
With the fan on high speed it'll help eliminate the chill from those cold
days. I agree green does smoke more than dry but I enjoy the smell of a wood
fire so this is a plus for me.  The smoke is like Mother Nature own body
ordor smell suppressor.  Smoke smells better than I do after hiking all day.
Fan on off produces more smoke for those really sweaty days.
>Should be easier to get onto an airplane than petro-stoves.
>Toasted Marshmellows...nuf said
If only I can get the patience to allow the marshmellows cook before I eat them.
Maybe in time I will?
>The cons:
>Makes your pots black and you'll smell of smoke. You cannot cook in the
>tent.  Or above tree line unless you bring tree with you.
I heard it said the blacker the pot the more heat is generated to cook your
meals?
>Takes practice...and feeding, for anything more than a cup of coffee.
>But we're talking about really tiny amounts of wood.  Last Sunday,
>I cooked 4 cups of rice (2 cups at a time) plus coffee with one three
>foot branch (<3/4 in at it's thickest)
>If you love playing with a campfire you'll love the Zip.
It is fun I totally agree with you.
>The stove is a little unstable..but I've never dumped it in hundreds of
>uses.
Same here.
>It only works with one style of oven and as soon as I find out which
>oven that is...pizza here I come.
Please let me know about this when you get the information.  Iam hungry just
thinking about pizza on the trail.
>Recently someone asked if there was a problem using them in areas
>which prohibit open fires but since it's actually contained I don't
>think this would be a problem.
Iam not sure either.
>When you take wood from the forest, even tiny amounts, you are robbing
>nutrients from future trees.
>So make sure you pee wherever you collect wood<<VBG>>
>
>Maybe someone else will have a con that I haven't thought of.
>Like I said...I'm prejudiced.
Same here.
Take care,
John
               John O    E-mail johno@mail.monmouth
                        Brick, New Jersey
60 miles north of Atlantic City   60 miles south of New York City