[at-l] Umbrellas again

This is beginning to sound a lot like the "barefoot hiker" thread on
rec.backcountry.   So - a couple points here -

First is that Peter Jenkins didn't use the umbrella in the East - he
and his wife started using them as a sunshades while they were
walking across the Texas plains.  He fastened them to their
external frame packs with hose clamps.

Second - Jardine doesn't advocate an umbrella as rain gear - he uses it
as a sunshade.  And his umbrellas don't weigh 14 ounces - he modifies them.
If memory serves, his weigh about 6 oz. including the Mylar that he adds
to reflect the sunlight.

Third - I know peopple who have used umbrellas on the AT - when they're
slackpacking.   And even then they used them for shade rather than rain.

 Michael Connick wrote:
>I'm not concerned about covering my pack. My main compartment is water-proofed
>via a plastic trash bag inside it. I put the plastic trash bag in first, then
>the contents, and seal the bag. Any items going into my pack's pockets that
>need to be protected from water are inside Ziplock bags. My sleeping bag is
>water-proofed by a trash bag inside its stuff sack.

That's all very good - but it leaves your pack hangin' out in the rain soaking
up water - and therefore getting heavier.  Not a thruhiker attitude.

>If the wind is strong, the umbrella
>needs to be pointed into the wind, which takes more effort but protects
>against
>both rain and wind chill. In REALLY strong winds (like what might be found on
>top of ridges above the tree line), the umbrella is slightly collapsed and
>pointed into the wind. This is the most work of all, but is certainly not
>a big
>physical effort. Holding it pointed into the wind usually doesn't need to be
>done for all that long a time before you're back into woods, so it's really
>never that tiring.

Wanta try that in the Whites with 40 to 60 knot winds across Madison??
Or climbing South Kinsman in a cold rain and high winds??   Great
hypothermia weather.   Good luck.

>Also, if you're really concerned about extreme wind
>conditions during a part of your hike, there's no rule stating that you can't
>bring along some type of emergency backup rain gear for that portion of your
>hike.

Hmmmmm ---- what you just said is that if a thruhiker is gonna bring an
umbrella, they need to bring  rain gear as well.  I don't think so - too much
weight.  Besides - in the South you'll need a Goretex (or similar) parka to
handle the cold/snow - so the umbrella isn't necessary.  When you get to
Atkins or maybe Pearisburg, the Goretex becomes unnecessary, but a
lightweight coated nylon jacket is all that's necessary the rest of the
way to Katahdin - and that's a lot lighter and less awkward than your
14 oz umbrella.

>It doesn't seem to affect my balance at all. My umbrella weighs only 14
>ounces.
>I could modify it and cut it's weight down even further if I was a real
>ultralight fanatic!

>> 4.  How do you negotiate the rockier sections (ie: Kittatinnys)?

>Basically the conditions were so bad we were crazy to be on the trail! The
>umbrellas protected us very well from the very nasty freezing rain, though.
>None of us had to use any other rain gear.

If you had other rain gear but didn't use it, that's cool.  If you didn't have
other rain gear with you then you risked hypothermia - and I wouldn't
appreciate your advocating that kind of behavior in a public forum
where less experienced hikers could get the idea that it's OK to do
things like that.   If you want to be stupid, that's your prerogative -
but I'm going to assume the best - that you had your "other" rain
gear with you.

>> 5.  Does the umbrella catch on overhanging brush, etc.
>
>It's not really much of a problem. Since it's resting right on the top of my
>head when I'm using it, it's not all that much taller than I am. If I see
>overhanging brush, I just bend down slightly to clear it. If I crash into
>some,
>I just back up and bend down slightly before continuing. When I'm not
>using the
>umbrella, it's strapped to the side of my pack and again sticks up only
>slightly over my head. With my current ultralight pack set up, I thnk the top
>of my umbrella is actually lower than the height of my old external frame pack
>with my old tent strapped to its top. So I actually seem to have LESS problems
>with overhanging brush than I used to.

They may have fixed it by now (or maybe not), but I think the 100+ mile
Tennessee Eastman section of the AT might convince you otherwise.
That was the section that was cleared for a 5 ft person to walk - if
you were 5'3", you were constantly either bending over or being
"clotheslined".   I think your umbrella might have been a major
annoyance through that section.

As I've said before - You're welcome to have anything you're willing to carry.
But I don't think I'll be carrying an umbrella for East Coast hiking.
Maybe on the PCT - as a sunshade.

OK - I'm outta here - and out of this discussion.

Walk softly,
Jim