Gear Survey

The first two northbound thru-hikers of 1997 have passed through Hot
Springs. As some of you know, we survey virtually every long-distance hiker
who comes through town. This year's survey will be our most extensive in
terms of information gleaned, especially with regards to gear. Any of you
gearheads out there will love it. By mid-summer, we will have surveyed more
than 1500 long-distance hikers (probably more than 2500 before the end of
the year), most of them northbound thru-hikers, at least until the
southbounders start showing up in September. I just posted on Trailplace
the results from the first '97 hiker to take part in our survey. You can
now check out the questions we will be asking about backpacks, tents, etc.,
and from now until the end of the year you will be able to select any piece
of gear used by 1997 thru-hikers and see how they rated it and what they
said about its suitability for doing a thru-hike. The survey results will
be updated weekly. Hope you find the information useful, especially you
1998 hopefuls. This survey should be very instructive, since the
information that results will come from folks who have been on the AT for
3-5 weeks (about 300 miles), the period in a thru-hike when gear is most
critical to the success of the journey.--Wingfoot