Re: [at-l] White gas - please explain

Sandy,,,

  In a nutshell,,, white gas was a "pre-unleaded" gas,,, minimal additives,,
Coleman fuel works very well in the MSR series of stoves... It's a form of
white gas... The Coleman brand is on some propane cannisters, this is NOT
white gas,,, Coleman fuel will normally be in 1 gallon (sometimes in 1 pint)
RED cans...
Coleman is a blended fuel,,, primarily white gas with a rust inhibitor (and
I suspect coloring) added... It will be labeled as "Fuel / Combustible",
towards the bottom of the can it will state "for Coleman fueled and unleaded
fueled camping appliances"... If in doubt as the salesperson...

At 08:12 PM 2/16/97 -0500, Sandra Downs wrote:
>OK, so I feel really dumb for asking, but I've looked thru my 2 backpacking
>books (Manning & Logue) and I still don't have a clue...what is white gas
>and where do you buy it? I've been checking out local stores for the
>Whisperlite, which uses white gas, but everywhere I go the only fuel in
>stock is Coleman in big green containers, and propane. White gas is *not*
>propane, is it? I'd like to have some clarity about it before I actually
>plunk down $$ for the Whisperlite.
>
>Appreciate your help,
>Sandy
>GA->ME 1999	<downs@nb.net>    Visit Cyberwall! http://www.nb.net/~downs/
>

>* From the Appalachian Trail Mailing List | For info
http://www.hack.net/lists *

    Dick & Lyn  Wix     (Where's Spring; Rochester, MN)
                 aka  "WIXeR"  AT-94  GA->ME
                       wixer@sparc.isl.net
       We'll get there,,,, when we get there.!!" - obscure