[at-l] Old saying...

Hey all,
	There is a saying that comes to mind when buying gear, "You get
what you pay for."  Backpacking is a very case for this saying.
	With the idea of cheaper gear, I am very weary of it.  From what
I can understand, the better gear is better because it lasts longer.  You
buy into a name, a certain quality, and how long it will last.  Scrimping
on something cheaper will most often come back to haunt you.  After a
couple of years of Boy Scout backpacking, more often than not the cheaper
gear falls apart even if it is lighter.
	Talking about geat is at the heart of alot of backpackers simply
because it is what they use all the time.  The more someone pays for
something, it seems, they more they find good features about it.  (that
is unless it totally screwed up for them)  The less someone pays for it,
unless it worked great for them, they will not talk about it much.
	It all depends on what you do with the gear.  Someone that pays
500 for a top of the line Dana might just use it for a weekend trip once
a year and complain that it is not what they thought it was suppose to
be. (most often siting Backpacker's review of it)  While someone that has
a Peak 1 will hike the entire trail and not say a bad word about it.  It
all comes down to the person and how they use it.
	And nothing will get out unless we talk about it.  Hence this list.

-=phil

--
|promans@sloth.loyola.edu |  www.cs.loyola.edu/~promans      Philmont |