RE: [at-l] computers on the trail

It sometime amazes me how much religious zeal we can work up over just =
about any subject. =20

I think it a bit early to state that the internet has had much of an =
impact (positive or negative) on encouraging too many neophytes to hike =
the trail.  The fact is that we all are ignorant about thru-hiking until =
we've completed one.  You can take courses, read books, talk to a =
hundred people and still not have a clue until you've done it. =20

The longest backpacking trip I'd taken before my trip was maybe 40 =
miles. I had a total of less that 150 miles backpacking in total.  Then =
the only source of information was in books. There was no one to talk =
to.  After completing the trail I came to believe that if one is in =
reasonable health, then the key to surviving the trail was mental.

Unlike exploring new world's, traveling by dog sled to the North Pole, =
the trail is a reasonable accomplishment by normal people. The internet =
can provide a wealth of knowledge in how to mentally prepare.  Sure much =
of our time is spent on the trivial issues of gear.  It provides us with =
something we can touch and feel.  We can pick up our packs, close our =
eyes and see ourselves on distant mountains.  It provides substance to =
our visions and dreams.  Along the trail, it is those very dreams that =
nurture us and keep us going. When hiking through the viewless rocky =
trails of Pennsylvania,  dreams of future glories kept me going when my =
body yearned to quit.

People on the net can sometime give us good or bad information. But bad =
information rarely if ever prevents success.  If it did, no one would =
ever buy any trail guide. Relocations, closed stores can really mess up =
your day.  But for me, that was as much apart of the trail as a glorious =
sunrise on Hump Mountain.

As too carrying computers on the trail, I have mixed emotions.  I spend =
8 plus hours a day staring at one or more.  At the same time computers =
are tools just like telephones.  I doubt that there has been a single =
successful thru-hiker that did not use phones to make arrangements when =
they got into towns. At times, in my plans for this summer, I've =
considered carrying a palm top.  Unfortunately it tends to violate my =
philosophy of: If you can't eat it, wear it, or sleep in it, don't take =
it. But at the same time I do take a camera and a notebook.  If it's =
light enough and I can avoid having to key it in, maybe I'll re-consider =
it.

Every generation that hikes the trail does something to alter the =
experience to be appropriate with their times.  I'm sure there are old =
timers that would have thought that my way of backpacking was absurd.  =
However, my generation help to change the very nature of the hiking.  =
Nothing we do or say will prevent change.  Someone somewhere will come =
along with a new way and I'll sit back and think why didn't I figure it =
out (or maybe not).

Read the books, surf the net, but at the end of the day, close your eyes =
and feel the wind in your hair, the sun on your face as your mind gazes =
on the glory before you.
=20
Ronald Moak
Black Diamond Software (503) 642-3359