[at-l] Roan Area , avoid or not????

A couple of years I was thru Roan area that you are talking about. Being new I
asked around to try to find what I should avoid and not avoid. MAny of the
people were very friendly but gave strong advice to be careful where I was at
all times and explained that there are some around that are not as friendly.
This was repeated by more than a half dozen with out solicitation. So I took
the information in stride and kept moving.
	On the trail I met a mixture of people that ranged from very nice to a
few that made no bones about it that I should avoid certain areas, one being
the Erwin section, and part of the trail just north of the balds. They
explained that it is used heavily by a group that does not care much for hikers
and I was speaking directly with one at the time! But he was neither overly
friendly or hostile but franckly warned me about the possibilities. I did meet
one hiker that said he was threatened and was concerned that he may be hurt. By
the desription he gave I think they were the same that I talked to.
But I think that you have the same chance no matter where you are of meeting
people like that good, bad and indifferent. Deal with them as you would want to
be dealt with, with respect and in turn you will recieve the same.
The area is really nice and the people I meet were also. I would return to the
area without hesitation but I would also use common sense and not get in where
I am not welcome.... My .02 worth
Brent