[at-l] Water Filters

Like most pieces of gear, filters have their backers and those who say
that they all "suck".  I belong to the middle, I do think that they are
good, but too heavy (I use iodine)  From what I have seen and heard on
the Trail, the MSR is a decent choice, though I've also heard that the
pumping handle has been known to break off.   The only other filter that
I like is the PUR hiker, it is light strong, and pretty fast too.  This
is what you should look at, pump times!  Believe me, the last thing you
want to do after a long day of hiking is stoop over for 10 minutes
pumping 2 quarts.  (This immediately eliminates the katadin mini, it
took my friend almost 10 minutes of hard pumping to get a quart :(  My
advice is to look long and hard before dropping 50 or more dollars on a
filter.

					City Slicka AT 94-97
                                                    LT 95