[at-l] Pack Ponchos

Someone asked:

>Has anyone used a poncho that is designed to fit over you &
>your pack?

Yes.  My wife and I both use this type of poncho.

>I have seen them in Campmor.  It looked like a interesting
>solution to having both a poncho & pack cover in one, while
>also available for other uses as is any poncho.

The longer length of this type of poncho makes a useful 1-man tarp.  When
hiking in the Sierras as a teenager, I used this type of poncho as my
"tent".  It worked fine for me but then again, Sierra rainstorms are very
brief (no more than an hour or two).

>One added thought, people complain about the lack of
>breathability of ponchos, would one made out of goretex
>solve that?

I've never had a problem with poncho breathability, even on the AT in the
summer!