Re: [at-l] bivy sacks?

> After much debating last year, I ended up with a bivy sack on my trip
> and boy was it GREAT. Considering I used shelters most of the time
> anyway, it worked out much better than a tent and had the added
> advantages of keeping me a little warmer on cold nights (by using it as
> a sleeping bag cover) and keeping mice and bugs off of me in shelters
> (try setting a tent up in a crowded shelter sometime).
>
> They can be a bit clastrophobic at times, but that did not bother me.
>
> Try one out before you use it though.

I just bought a Bibler Hooped Bivy. I purchased it for all the reasons stated
above, plus its small packing size and the fact that in really warm weather I
can sleep in it without any sleeping bag at all. If the weather holds, I'll be
doing my first field testing of it this weekend.

> (oh one more thing, you will still need a tarp to keep you and your gear
> dry when packing in the rain).

Or an umbrella, which is also great "Rain Gear for those who sweat like a HOG".

Michael Connick
GA->ME on the Appalachian Trail in 98!

E-mail: Michael_Connick@clrmnt.com
Michael's Ultralight Backpacking Page: