[at-l] Re: Rain Gear for those who sweat like a HOG

Courtney,

You and I must share the same genes.  I have never met anyone who sweats as
much as me except for a fellow who was 150 lbs overweight and ascending
from Wesser.

As you have now discovered, less is best when hiking (clothes, that is).  I
just wear supplex shorts and a coolmax tee shirt until it gets very cold or
chilly and very windy.  Then I don lightweight capilene long underwear
under the shorts and shirt.  When it is likely to be cold out I carry my
goretex and use it as necessary.  On a recent trip in NC when the temps
dipped below freexing, I hiked in lightweight capilene long pants with my
shorts over, gore tex pants, long capilene top with tee shirt and gore tex
jacket.  I shed the jacket after a while because I was too warm.  The good
thing about the goretex is that you can sweat it up pretty good and it
still protects from the outer cold and also dries very quickly.  For me,
having the gore tex is like a life preserver.  I don't hesitate to put it
on if I think there is a chance of hypothermia.

Regarding feet, mine are always wet.  Hot, cold, rainy weather, dry and
sunny, it doesn't matter.  I change socks frequently.  Gaiters just tend to
get my feet hotter and I only use them in snow.

Frank

Frank Webbe
Professor of Psychology
Florida Institute of Technology